This soup has a smooth light texture and a tasty mild flavor.
- 3 pounds butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 large peeled apple, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel, optional
- dash white pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry, to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash squash and pierce with a fork or knife. Bake for 40 - 60 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and cool until easy to handle. Cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and discard. Peel squash and cut into cubes. There should be about 5 cups of cubes. In a large soup pot, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add carrots and apples. Cook for 2 ? 3 minutes. Add potato, broth, thyme, and fennel. Bring to a boil. Cover pan, reduce heat and gently boil until vegetables are very tender.
Using a hand-held immersion blender, puree soup until very smooth. Add white pepper, sherry wine, salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 6 Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 175 Fat, gm.: 2 Protein, gm.: 4 Carbs, gm.: 35 Cholesterol, mg.: 0 Fiber, gm.: 2.1
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- Yet another dog food lot recalled because it may contain euthanasia drug
- 5 idyllic private island retreats
- Fyre Festival: When a $12,000 luxury festival in a Caribbean paradise turns into chaos
- The female chefs nominated for the James Beard Awards are on fire
- Where the sun rarely shines