Combine a sweet smooth custard with the crunch of almonds for a simple dessert treat.
- 1 large Golden delicious apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter six-3/4-cup oven-proof custard cups. Place custard cups in a 9 x 13 inch pan. Divide chopped apples among the cups.
Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar over apples in each cup. Add 1 teaspoon of butter to each cup. Add hot water to the pan to surround the custard cups in a water bath. Bake for 40 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from oven. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of chopped almonds in each custard cup.
While apples are baking, combine milk, honey, eggs, salt, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Beat until well mixed.
Pour egg milk mixture over the apples in the six custard cups. Return custard cups, in the water bath, to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until custard is set. A knife inserted in the middle of the custard should come out clean. Do not over bake or mixture will curdle.
Serve warm or cold. If serving later, cover and refrigerate. They will keep for a week in the refrigerator. (I even like it for breakfast!)
Nutritional Information per serving:
Fat, gm.: 12
Protein, gm.: 5
Carbs, gm.: 15
Cholesterol, mg.: 75
Fiber, gm.: 1.0
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- Ciara and Russell Wilson welcome baby girl
- Yet another dog food lot recalled because it may contain euthanasia drug
- 5 idyllic private island retreats
- Fyre Festival: When a $12,000 luxury festival in paradise turns into chaos
- The female chefs nominated for the James Beard Awards are on fire