This is a typical Scandinavian sweet bread. It has a wonderful slightly sweet almond flavor. Serve it as a dessert or cut into thin slices and serve it for breakfast or brunch.
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease one bread pan (5 x 9 inches) or several small bread pans.
In a large bowl, combine sugar, egg, almond extract, and milk. Beat until smooth. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Add melted butter and beat until smooth. Pour into greased bread pan(s). Bake 40 - 50 minutes if using one large pan. Reduce time for smaller pans. Bake until lightly brown and set in the middle. Cool in pan before removing. The bread is very moist and will break if removed while it is still hot.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 200 Fat, gm.: 8 Protein, gm.: 2 Carbs, gm.: 30 Cholesterol, mg.: 35 Fiber, gm.: 0
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- Apple-raspberry vinaigrette
- 'I could not even dream': What it's like to be gay in North Korea
- China's first big jetliner clears final hurdle before flying
- Panera to hire 10,000 as it expands delivery service
- How these students got into every Ivy League school