What a great way to make squash special! This is colorful and a wonderful blend of flavors and textures.
- 3 medium acorn squash
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 medium apple, cored and finely chopped
- 1 medium orange, sectioned
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups cooked wild rice* or rice of your choice
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- dash salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Microwave each squash for 3 - 5 minutes or until soft enough to cut in half safely. Scoop out and discard seeds. Place squash halves in a baking pan cut side down. Add 2 inches of water and bake until fork tender, about 1 hour. Remove from pan and discard water. Place squash halves back in the pan but this time place them cut side up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a medium skillet, melt butter. Add apple and cook until tender. Add all remaining ingredients and stir to mix. Add additional salt or maple syrup to taste. Heat through. Spoon mixture evenly into squash halves. Serve immediately or re-warm in the oven.
**Directions for an easy, fool-proof way to cook wild rice:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash desired amount of rice and place in an oven-proof bowl or an oven proof pan. (Choose the size of bowl or pan depending on how much rice you are cooking. The rice will triple in amount after it is cooked.) For every cup of rice, measure 3 cups of water or chicken broth and place in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Pour boiling liquid over rice. Cover bowl or pan with foil or a tight fitting lid. Place in oven and immediately turn off oven. Leave the bowl or pan of rice in the oven at least 4 hours or over-night. In the morning you will find the rice perfectly cooked. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Nutritional Information per serving:
- Calories: 200
- Fat, gm.: 3
- Protein, gm.: 4
- Carbs, gm.: 40
- Cholesterol, mg.: 5
- Fiber, gm.: 2.6
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- Yet another dog food lot recalled because it may contain euthanasia drug
- 5 idyllic private island retreats
- Fyre Festival: When a $12,000 luxury festival in a Caribbean paradise turns into chaos
- The female chefs nominated for the James Beard Awards are on fire
- Where the sun rarely shines