KIMBERLY, Wis. - A Kimberly woman who used a billboard to seek a kidney donor credits the ensuing publicity for helping her find a match.
Stephanie Henderson had a kidney transplant in the 1990s but the new kidney has also failed.
To help find a new donor, family and friends created Team Steph. The group bought a billboard along Highway 41 that read, "Young Mother Needs Live Kidney Donor Is It You?"
WBAY-TV did a story on the billboard, and someone who saw the coverage stepped forward and went through the necessary testing. A match was confirmed, and Henderson is now scheduled for surgery next week.
Team Steph member Joy Sams said she's so thankful for the news. She said there's no present that can match what Henderson is getting this Christmas.
- How 4/20 became 'Weed Day'
- US yellow fever vaccine supply will run out this summer, CDC says
- First 100 Days: What Trump has done to Obamacare
- Yet another dog food lot recalled because it may contain euthanasia drug
- Study: Female athletes at 50% higher risk for concussions
- Study: Diabetes, weight can combine to alter brain