KIMBERLY, Wis. - A Kimberly woman who used a billboard to seek a kidney donor credits the ensuing publicity for helping her find a match.
Stephanie Henderson had a kidney transplant in the 1990s but the new kidney has also failed.
To help find a new donor, family and friends created Team Steph. The group bought a billboard along Highway 41 that read, "Young Mother Needs Live Kidney Donor Is It You?"
WBAY-TV did a story on the billboard, and someone who saw the coverage stepped forward and went through the necessary testing. A match was confirmed, and Henderson is now scheduled for surgery next week.
Team Steph member Joy Sams said she's so thankful for the news. She said there's no present that can match what Henderson is getting this Christmas.
- Cervical cancer deaths higher, study says
- Study: Facebook can actually make us more narrow-minded
- Research indicates correct breast examination techniques are widely misunderstood
- Trump issues executive order to start rolling back Obamacare
- CDC: Pet rats linked to virus outbreak
- Cancer pain: Relief is possible