MILWAUKEE - Health officials said Milwaukee area hospitals are seeing a drop in flu-related visits to the emergency room.
The City of Milwaukee Health Department recorded a decrease in hospital emergency department visits for influenza-like illness over the past week.
So far, 280 hospitalizations in the city have been reported to the Milwaukee Health Department compared with 93 a year ago. Hospitalizations remain highest for people ages 65 and above and younger than 1 year old.
Officials said while emergency department visits are declining in Milwaukee, there may be a rise in reported hospitalizations during coming weeks due to a lag in reporting from hospitals.
Health officials urge residents to help prevent the spread of flu as the season continues. They said it's not too late to get vaccinated.
- Cervical cancer deaths higher, study says
- Study: Facebook can actually make us more narrow-minded
- Research indicates correct breast examination techniques are widely misunderstood
- Trump issues executive order to start rolling back Obamacare
- CDC: Pet rats linked to virus outbreak
- Cancer pain: Relief is possible