What's going on this weekend?
Looking for something to do this weekend? Here are some highlights from Madison Magazine's Weekend 608.
Friday, November 21:
Fridays mark our Freebie Friday Facebook giveaways. Like us on Facebook for a chance to win great prizes every Friday!
- Tandem Press and the Jazz Studies Program at UW–Madison come together for a night of live music in their Fall Friday Jazz Series. The UW Blue Note Ensemble and the Latin Jazz Ensemble are this Fridays stars at the press’s east-side location. tandempress.wisc.edu
- The face that launched a thousand ships, Helen of Troy is thought to be the most beautiful woman of all time. Finally, the story comes from her perspective at the Hemsley Theatre on the UW campus. November 21–December 7, theatre.wisc.edu
- Red blazers, a great name and fantastic a cappella are all ways to describe the UW MadHatters. One of the areas most acclaimed a cappella groups, the Hatters have performed for the likes of President Barack Obama and the first Lady Michelle Obama (twice). Catch them at the Orpheum Theater. madisonorpheum.com
- The Holiday Tree Lighting in Middleton will ignite the spirit of the season. Visit the public library beforehand for Santa visits and then watch the spectacle while noshing on cookies and hot chocolate. visitmiddleton.com
- Flock to Cardinal Bar for Ornithophobia, a bird-themed Cirque du Soleil bash. The venue will fill with extravagant costumes, seductive masked dancers and over 100 artistic renditions of feathered creatures. cardinalbar.com
- Madison Museum of Contemporary Art and Overture Center join forces for a weekend-long Holiday Art Fair, with gifts for everyone on your list. After aFriday preview luncheon, the weekend is filled with style-savvy creations from local artists, a Gourmet Gallery of foodie gifts and performances from All That Jazz Quintet and Kanopy Dance Company. November 21–23, mmoca.org
Saturday, November 22:
- Three-time Emmy Award winner Wanda Sykes has stared on all of the major networks, seen her fair share of big blockbuster movie fame and had a successful career in stand-up comedy. The talented performer brings her take on modern issues to the Orpheum Theater. madisonorpheum.com
- Immerse yourself in fall flavors at Wollersheim Winery’s Harvest Tasting. On a self-guided tour, they’ll showcase four recently released wines incorporated into autumnal dishes, or paired with Wisconsin cheeses. wollersheim.com
- Get a head start on holiday shopping at the Friends of the Waunakee Public Library’s craft sale and peruse books, crafts, and an abundance of homemade treats. waunakeepubliclibrary.org
- Bring life to the cold nights with some old fashioned dancing. Folklore Village in Dodgeville is hosting a Fall Folk Fare Fundraiser, where they’ll have square dancing and lots of local music as well as a potluck, cakewalk and silent auction. folklorevillage.com
- If you haven’t seen Madison Theatre Guild’s Gross Indecency: The Three Trials of Oscar Wilde at the Bartell Theatre, now’s your last chance. madisontheatreguild.org
Read a review here.
Sunday, November 23:
- It’s the last day to catch Forward Theater’s From Up Here, a play about school violence, at the Playhouse at Overture Center. forwardtheater.com
Read a review here.
There's more of Weekend 608 at MadisonMagazine.com. For a complete list of local events for every day of the week, check out the Channel3000.com Events page.
Copyright 2014 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.