Looking for something to do this weekend? Here are some highlights from Madison Magazine's Weekend 608.
Friday, September 26:
Fridays mark our Freebie Friday Facebook giveaways. Like us on Facebook for a chance to win great prizes every Friday!
- The Pro Arte Quartet performs at the newly renovated Wisconsin Union Theater. It’s a fitting event, as the group first came to Madison in 1940 to help celebrate the opening of the then-new Union Theater. They were stranded because of the Nazi invasion of Belgium, so they stayed put in Madison, becoming the first ensemble residency at an American university. uniontheater.wisc.edu
- Join Sustain Dane and the Darbo-Worthington neighborhood for a smART (sustainability + Madison + art) public art event at the Salvation Army (3030 Darbo Dr.) from 4–7 p.m. Attendees will create a giant mural on the Salvation Army’s gym wall. sustaindane.org
- Relevant today more than ever, Soviet-born comedian Yakov Smirnoff is credited with inventing the “Russian reversal” style of comedy. The comedian plays off of both American consumerism and Soviet style communism in his “Happily Ever Laughter” tour, which makes a stop tonight at Overture Center. overturecenter.com
- Light up the night with CRACKLE: Fire and Froth at the Olbrich Botanical Gardens, where local music, food and drink and ten bonfires will chase away fall chills. olbrich.org
Saturday, September 27:
- Fans of electronic music flock to the Orpheum this weekend for newcomer Porter Robinson. Robinson released his debut album Worlds only a month and a half ago but is already set for the big leagues. madisonorpheum.com
- The great outdoors are the stage at the Froth House’s Garden Music Festival. This two-day lineup includes local mainstays Dana Perry and Bluegrass TeA & Company, plus fall-themed food and drink. September 27–28, thefrothhouse.com
- The Overture Center will celebrate a decade in Madison with 10Fest, featuring over twenty performances and almost every type of art imaginable—the Wild Rumpus Circus, Black Star Drum Line, Duck Soup Cinema, Fresco Opera and much more. overturecenter.org
Read an oral history on Overture’s first ten years here.
Sunday, September 28:
- Like getting up close and personal with your food? Participants on the Willy Street Co-op farm tour will visit four local farms, including lunch at Hillside Pastures. willystreet.coop
- In the eleventh season of the Madison Bach Musicians the ensemble performs the music of Johann Sebastian Bach, among celebrated composers, using period instruments. Their Season Kickoff Concert & Mixer features a musical performance and CD Release of their ‘Songs by Mozart, Haydn & Shubert.’ madisonbachmusicians.org