MILWAUKEE, Wis. - Extreme heat kept attendance and spending down at Summerfest this year.
According to the company that runs the event, Milwaukee World Festival, attendance and revenue from ticket sales and food and beverages were both down about 8 percent.
Heat indexes were in the 90s and 100s on eight of the 11 days.
In a statement Thursday, Milwaukee World Festival President Don Smiley said weather is always a risk in the outdoor event business and he hoped for better weather next year.
About 805,000 people attended the festival that ended Sunday, but the company had expected between 825,000 to 900,000.
Officials noted that revenue was up about 11 percent in sponsorship, business group sales and exhibitors.
- Donald Trump has one real measure of success: Ratings
- Jennifer Lopez talks Alex Rodriguez romance
- Erin Moran likely died of cancer complications, officials say
- Justin Bieber reflects on his troubled past
- Kenny G. makes a smooth move with mid-air concert
- 'The White Princess' explores history from a 'uniquely feminine' perspective