MILWAUKEE, Wis. - Extreme heat kept attendance and spending down at Summerfest this year.
According to the company that runs the event, Milwaukee World Festival, attendance and revenue from ticket sales and food and beverages were both down about 8 percent.
Heat indexes were in the 90s and 100s on eight of the 11 days.
In a statement Thursday, Milwaukee World Festival President Don Smiley said weather is always a risk in the outdoor event business and he hoped for better weather next year.
About 805,000 people attended the festival that ended Sunday, but the company had expected between 825,000 to 900,000.
Officials noted that revenue was up about 11 percent in sponsorship, business group sales and exhibitors.
- Review: MSO, APT craft annual 'Beyond the Score' concert
- Carrie Fisher's death renews questions about digital re-creation
- Packers-Cowboys is most-watched NFL Divisional Playoff game ever
- Trump renews attacks on 'SNL'
- The 14 Trump tweets that defined his high-stakes week
- Circus World director 'optimistic' in wake of Ringling Bros. shutdown