By Rick Tvedt
If you've ever wondered about all those bands operating in Madison (almost exclusively in the inner city) here's your chance to check out the underground scene. The first annual Bubble Music Festival will take place this week starting Thursday, October 3, and runs through Saturday, October 5, at select downtown venues. The event spotlights up-and-coming artists, although a few have been on the scene for some time.
The Bubble Music Festival is organized by Ben Churley and Thomas Skibsrud who both moved to Madison about three years ago. Skibsrud is a musician, playing in the band Lazydeadpoet, and Churley worked in music venues for many years before moving to Madison.
"I have had this idea for a multi-day, multi-venue music festival featuring emerging music and artists virtually since I moved to Madison," Churley says. "After a couple of years of tossing the idea around, half hoping that someone in the music scene here would see the value and take on the project, Thomas convinced me that we would have to do it ourselves. Last October we set a target date and registered the name. Since practically everyone involved in establishing the festival this year is doing so pro bono, many with day/night jobs and families, time grew short and we tempered expectations to a sort of pilot event. Those tempered expectations seem to be on track to be exceeded. We have confirmed fifty-plus performances, including ten venues, and have been lucky enough to establish relationships with excellent sponsors."
The inaugural Bubble Music Festival is being sponsored by Ian's Pizza, Yahara Bay Distillers, Karben4 Brewery and Blair Street Brew and BBQ.
All access VIP passes for the entire three days are available for $20 either in person or online through High Noon Saloon and from participating musicians. All access VIP passes waive the cover charge at all Bubble Music Festival events and include complimentary food and beverage from the sponsors. This includes:
- Slice of pizza at Ian's Pizza
- Pint of beer from Karben4 (at select downtown establishment)
- Mixed cocktail made with Yahara Bay Distillers product (at select downtown establishment)
- Pork Fresco sandwich at Blair Street Brew and BBQ
Additionally, several establishments have agreed to waive the cover charge at their events for Bubble Music Festival VIP pass holders. These include:
Cardinal Bar (please contact email@example.com for further details)
- Thursday, Oct. 3: College Night with DJ Jo-Z, 10 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 5: Latin Dance Night with DJ Chamo, 10 p.m.
The Bayou (please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details)
- Thursday, Oct. 3: Fashion Show with Happy Wallet Clothing and Gnar Hoops featuring music by the Deadly Vipers
- Friday, Oct. 4: Joe aka Jogre The Ogre, and Trent aka Acideon
- Saturday, Oct. 5: DJ Dance Party
Click HERE for the full schedule.
This story comes from the Local Sounds blog on madisonmagazine.com. Read more like it here.
- Jenner doesn't regret voting for Trump despite LGBT 'mistakes'
- Fox News anchor joins lawsuit alleging racial discrimination, harassment
- Former 'Bachelor' star Chris Soules arrested after deadly crash
- 'All Things Considered' host Robert Siegel stepping down
- 'Star Wars: Episode IX' gets summer 2019 release date
- 'The Handmaid's Tale' lifts Hulu with dystopian vision