MADISON, Wis. - Five years ago, street fights and shots fired calls were not uncommon at what was then known as Club Majestic on King Street.
Police said they spent tens of thousands of dollars on police overtime and did all they could to stop the problems.
Then two out-of-towners came in with a plan to turn the place around.
Scott Leslie and Matt Gerding are celebrating five years this week as owners of the revitalized theater that police say has also turned the King Street neighborhood around.
Leslie and Gerding don't like to take full credit for the transformation, and they said there's a lot of good going on in the neighborhood.
The men said the Majestic Theater was a top 100 club in the world for ticket sales last year, something they're excited about.
Celebrations start Friday night with a free concert on King Street. Gates open at 5 p.m. and the band The Hold Steady will be performing.
More information about the celebration
- Will Ferrell returns as Bush for 'Not the White House Correspondents' Dinner'
- Artists mark Trump's 100th day in office
- Ciara and Russell Wilson welcome baby girl
- How 'Thelma' still drives Geena Davis
- 100 days in, Howard Stern was 100% right about Donald Trump
- Fyre Festival: When a $12,000 luxury festival in paradise turns into chaos