This is a traditional southern meatless meal but it is also great made with a spicy sausage.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium green or red pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (15 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sharp paprika
- 1 can (30 ounces) kidney or red beans, drained
- salt to taste
- Tabasco sauce to taste
In a large skillet heat oil, cook onions until translucent. Remove from pan and set aside. Add celery and peppers to skillet and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Return onions to skillet. Add canned tomatoes, chicken broth, chili powder, oregano, thyme, pepper, paprika, and kidney beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes until mixture thickens. Adjust seasoning with salt and Tabasco sauce to taste.
If desired, add cooked and crumbled sausage of your choice.
Serve over cooked rice or mix bean mixture with rice before serving.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat, gm.: 4
Protein, gm.: 12
Carbs, gm.: 38
Cholesterol, mg.: 0
Fiber, gm.: 2.1