Who can be a Packer backer and not love sauerkraut? Choose low fat Italian turkey sausage, mild Polish sausage, German brats or spice it up with a hotly seasoned sausage for this full flavored soup.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and diced (about 4 cups)
- 6 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 8 ounces cooked low fat sausage of your choice, diced
- 1 can (15 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar to taste, optional
In a large soup pot, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add diced potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and continue to boil until potatoes are very tender.
Using a hand held immersion blender, pureed part of the potatoes to thicken the soup. Add diced precooked polish sausage, sauerkraut, dill weed, caraway seed, and white pepper.
Simmer for 20 minutes or until flavors have blended.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Add a touch of sugar if desired.
- Calories 225
- Fat, gm. 9
- Protein, gm. 13
- Carbs, gm. 25
- Cholesterol, mg. 35
- Fiber, gm. 4.6
Donna L. Weihofen, R.D., M.S. Nutritionist, University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics