This is a fabulous bread pudding with a blend of the sweet raspberries and the slightly tart lemon sauce.
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup Splenda or sugar (or half Splenda and half sugar)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten or 3/4 cup Egg Beaters
- 8 ounces French bread or firm white bread slices, cut in1 ?cubes, (about 6 -7 cups of cubes)
- 1-1/2 cups frozen raspberries or mixed berries, (frozen loose packed - do not thaw)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sugar mixture
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup Splenda or sugar (or half Splenda and half sugar)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
In a large bowl, combine milk, Splenda or sugar, lemon zest, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and eggs. Stir in bread cubes. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 7" x 11" or 9? x 9? baking pan. Spoon half of bread mixture in pan. Sprinkle with frozen raspberries. Top with remaining bread mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Cover with foil and place in a larger pan of hot water. Bake covered for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 20- 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
To prepare lemon sauce, combine egg and sugar in a small saucepan. (Do not cook in an aluminum saucepan. It affects the color of the sauce. It may turn slightly green.) Beat well. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes or until sugar is melted.
Add lemon juice and butter. Cook another 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the spoon. (Do not overcook or the mixture will curdle. If small lumps do form, pour sauce through a fine strainer.)
Serve warm lemon sauce over bread pudding.
Note: The sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated. Re-warm sauce over low heat before serving.
- Calories 280
- Fat, gm. 5
- Protein, gm. 9
- Carb. gm. 49
- Cholesterol, mg. 120
- Fiber, gm. 3