Dress up your ordinary potato salad with fresh green beans and peppers. It is super attractive. The dressing is light and flavorful -- no heavy mayo in this recipe!
- 2 pounds red potatoes ?(5 cups cooked diced potatoes)
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, snip off ends
- 1/2 medium red or orange pepper
- 4 slices turkey or pork bacon*
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large sauce pan, cook potatoes in boiling water until tender. (Do not overcook.) Drain and cool with cold water. Drain again. Cut into 1 ? 2 inch chunks. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, cook beans in salted boiling water just until tender-crisp. Drain and cool with cold water. Set aside. Thinly slice pepper and set aside.
In a medium skillet cook bacon until brown and crisp. Drain and cut into small pieces. Set aside.
Combine dressing ingredients in a small food processor or blend ingredients using an immersion blender.
In a large bowl, combine cooked potatoes, beans, peppers, and bacon. Add dressing and mix gently. Spoon into serving bowl. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
* If using turkey bacon, add a small amount of oil to the pan when cooking the bacon.
Note: The dressing is absorbed better if it is added to the potatoes and beans while they are still warm.
- Calories 210
- Fat, gm. 10
- Protein, gm. 4
- Carbs, gm. 26
- Cholesterol, mg. 0
- Fiber, gm. 3
Donna L. Weihofen, R.D., M.S. Nutritionist, University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics