Red Beans and Rice with Spicy Cajun Sausage
In New Orleans, no two recipes for red beans and rice are the same. The dish is always adapted to personal tastes. Choose a commercial Cajun seasoning mix or use the combination of spices in this recipe to create your own special dish.
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 sausage links, choose a spicy sausage of your choice
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth, divided
- 1 can (14 ounces) petite diced tomatoes with green peppers
- 1 can (14 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (30 ounces) canned kidney beans, drained but not rinsed
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning* (see recipe below)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Louisiana Hot Sauce to taste
In a large skillet, heat oil. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add peppers and cook until tender. Remove from skillet and set aside. Cut sausage in small pieces or remove sausage from casing and form into small bite-sized pieces. Add to skillet and cook over hot heat until brown on all sides of each piece. Add 1/2 cup broth to deglaze the pan. Return onion and peppers to skillet. Add diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, and Cajun seasoning mix. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes or until flavors have blended. Add additional spice mixture, salt, and pepper to taste. Add additional broth to thin to desired consistency.
Serve with rice and pass Louisiana Hot Sauce at the table.
• Purchase a Cajun spice or combine the following spices: ½ teaspoon white pepper, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon basil, 1 teaspoon ground thyme, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, 4 teaspoons paprika
Nutritional Information per serving without the rice:
- Calories: 330
- Fat, gm.: 7
- Protein, gm.: 22
- Carbs, gm.: 45
- Cholesterol, mg.: 30
- Fiber, gm.: 16.0
-- Recipe by UW Health Nutritionist Donna L. Weihofen, RD, MS
Copyright 2013 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.