- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. dried oregano leaves
- ½ tsp. dried basil leaves
- ½ tsp. each coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 8 slices sourdough or whole grain bread
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
1. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan to medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute 30-60 seconds, until fragrant. Add diced tomatoes and tomato paste and stir to combine. Add seasonings and stir. Allow to cook 10-12 minutes. Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
2. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Heat a medium skillet to medium-high heat. Place one slice of bread, butter side down, in the hot skillet. Top with slice of cheese, then top with other slice of bread, butter side up. Allow to cook, 2-3 minutes, until browned and cheese starts to melt. Flip and continue to cook 2-3 minutes, placing a lid on top to allow cheese to fully melt. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
3. Slice grilled cheese into sticks and serve with tomato dip.