Donna's Potato Mushroom Soup
This soup has great flavor. It is a meat and potato meal in a bowl.
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 medium potatoes (2 pounds), peeled and diced in ½ inch cubes
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel, optional
- 1/2 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Italian turkey sausage links
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk or milk of your choice
- salt and pepper to taste
In a soup pot, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add diced potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil and continue to boil gently until potatoes are very tender. Using a hand held immersion blender, puree soup. Add dill weed, white pepper and fennel. Continue to simmer. While soup is cooking, melt butter in a large skillet. Add mushrooms and cook until they are beginning to brown. Cook in 2 batches if needed.
Add mushrooms to soup pot. Remove meat from Italian sausage casing and brown in skillet. Add to soup pot. Add milk and heat through. Add extra milk or broth if needed to thin to desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 290 Fat, gm.: 8 Protein, gm.: 16 Carbs, gm.: 41 Cholesterol, mg.: 35 Fiber, gm.: 4.5
Copyright 2012 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.