This is a French inspired salad that means "as prepared in Nice." The beauty of the salad lies in its presentation -- a medley of color, flavor and texture. Proportions are suggestions and can be varied according to preference and availability. It is traditionally centered around tuna but salmon or chicken could be used. It is served with a light vignette dressing.
- 1-1/2 pounds small red or white potatoes
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, end trimmed
- 16 ounces canned tuna in olive oil
- 4 hard cooked eggs, quartered
- 1 can (15 ounces) black or white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 ounces) artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cup Nicoise or black olives
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and cut in stick shape
- 8 small Heirloom or Roma tomato, quartered
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup capers
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence or herbs of your choice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
In a small saucepan, cook potatoes in salted boiling water until tender. Chill under cold running water. Drain and set aside. In a medium saucepan, cook green beans in salted boiling water until tender-crisp. Chill under cold running water. Drain and set aside.
Using color as your guide, creatively arrange a portion of all ingredients on individual plates.
Combine dressing ingredients in a small food processor. Mix well. Drizzle desired amount of dressing over salad.
Nutritional Information per serving:
- Calories: 440
- Fat, gm.: 20
- Protein, gm.: 30
- Carbs, gm.: 35
- Cholesterol, mg.: 100
- Fiber, gm.: 7.9