Donna's Butternut Squash Pear Soup With A Touch of Sherry
This has just the right combinations of flavors for a fantastic fall soup.
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 medium fresh pear, cored, peeled, and cubed
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen butternut squash or 1-½ cups mashed squash*
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup fat-free half & half or evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup sherry
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoon orange liqueur or orange juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
In a large saucepan, heat oil. Add onions and ginger. Cook until onions are translucent. Add broth, pear, potato, and squash. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes or until potatoes, pears, and squash are tender. Add white pepper, ground thyme, brown sugar, half & half, and sherry. Using a hand held immersion blender, blend soup to the desired consistency. Heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
For optional topping, combine all topping ingredients. Place in plastic squeeze bottle.
When ready to serve soup, squeeze a swirl design on top of each bowl of soup.
*Fresh squash can be used. Peel and dice the squash and add it to the broth. Cook it with the potatoes and pears until tender.
Makes 8 cups
Nutritional Information per serving:
- Calories: 165
- Fat, gm.: 2
- Protein, gm.: 5
- Carbs, gm.: 31
- Cholesterol, mg.: 0
- Fiber, gm.: 4.0
Copyright 2012 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.