Do you run out of oven space when cooking your turkey dinner? You might want to try using the slow cooker to prepare your dressing. Put your dressing ingredients in the slow cooker when you put your turkey in the oven and both will be done at the same time. If you prefer, the dressing can be baked in the oven too.
- 14 ounce bag herb seasoned stuffing cubes (9 cups)
- 2 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 medium apple, cored, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped cranberries, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (15 ounces) fat-free chicken broth
- extra water or chicken broth as needed
Butter a slow cooker or a large casserole dish. Place stuffing cubes in a large bowl. Set aside.
In a medium skillet, heat butter. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add celery and apple and cook until tender. Spoon into bowl with stuffing cubes. Add raisins and cranberries if desired. In a small bowl, combine poultry seasoning, egg, and chicken broth. Beat well. Add to stuffing cubes and stir to mix. If a moister mixture is desired, add additional water or more chicken broth.
If using a slow cooker, cook on medium heat for 6 - 7 hours. Check midway to determine if more moisture is needed.
If baking in the oven, bake in covered casserole dish at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Note: If your family really likes dressing, you may want to double this recipe.
Serves 10 (1 cup servings)
Nutritional information per serving:
- Calories: 200
- Fat, gm.: 4
- Protein, gm.: 2
- Carb. gm.: 38
- Cholesterol, mg.: 25
- Fiber: 2.7