Donna's Bean Caviar
This is an adaptation of an old recipe. Adding diced fennel gives it a new kick. Make it ahead to blend the flavors. It keeps well for over a week and can be served as an interesting side dish or as an appetizer with corn chips.
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) blackeyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (11 ounces) corn, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 medium sweet onions, diced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, thinly diced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly diced
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup Splenda or additional sugar to taste
In a large bowl, combine the canned beans, corn, peppers, onion, fennel, and celery. Set aside.
In a small saucepan, combine, vinegar, sugar, oil, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and continue to boil gently for 10 minutes. Remove from stove and add Splenda or additional 1/4 cup sugar. Add additional sugar to taste if desired. Stir until dissolved. Cool to room temperature. Add dressing to bean mixture and stir to mix well.
Note: It works well to store the bean mixture in a large zip lock plastic bag. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Toss bag occasionally to mix.
Nutritional Information per serving:
- Calories: 200
- Fat, gm.: 3
- Protein, gm.: 7
- Carbs, gm.: 36
- Cholesterol, mg.: 0
- Fiber, gm.: 6.7
Copyright 2012 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.