ARCADIA, Wis. - After more than a half-century of broadcasting, the "Arcadia on the Air" radio program is about to sign off for good.
"Arcadia on the Air" has been broadcast daily from KWNO's Arcadia studios since 1959. It was hosted by local bandleader Ernie Reck until his death in March 1996.
Reck started on the air with a weekly broadcast from KWNO's Winona, Minn., studios 10 years earlier. Since Reck's death, the program -- featuring polka music and local Arcadia news -- has been hosted by his former assistant, Ruth Gappa.
KWNO Radio reports Gappa's retirement means the end of "Arcadia on the Air."
The public is invited to be part of the live audience for the final broadcast at 12:45 p.m. Saturday at the Arcadia Area Historical Society.
- Madonna delivers R-rated, anti-Trump speech
- 'House of Cards' releases new teaser on Inauguration Day
- 2017 People's Choice Awards winners and nominees
- 'NCIS: Los Angeles' actor Miguel Ferrer dead at 61
- Colbert, Fallon and Meyers prepare for Trump's inauguration
- Inauguration performers respond to backlash